The first week I tried a few simple jobs to solve the engine overheating problem. The symptoms - the temperature gauge went off the scale, while the radiator coolant seemed normal. The previous owner had removed the thermostat, so I first reinstalled the thermostat. I replaced the temperature gauge, with no change. The engine timing was off and I was able to get the B16 timed, using a 12 volt Xenon strobe timing light (connected to battery on my 262C). This improved the engine performance and brought the temperature down, but even with the heat on, the needle was over the max.
I installed a new set of ignition wires and inspected the distributor. I drove the car to the Ottawa Volvo Club meet on Saturday, the 15th and it was fun to drive across town. I was still concerned about the apparent overheating. I also tried to locate a source for a B16 water pump, but these seem to be scarce. I can have my existing pump rebuilt, but I'm still trying to find a replacement water pump at a reasonable price.
Frustrated, I posted my problem on the
, and tried a few of the suggestions. Thanks to Leonard, George, John
John recalled a story with his 1961 PV 544, where a piece of rubber got lodged in the water distributor pipe (runs the length of the cylinder head) and Mike gave me the dimensions of the rubber tube that connects the water pump and the thermostat housing. I'd have to wait for the weekend to continue the hunt.
Saturday, September 22nd: Eureka, I found the overheating problem!!!! I decided to inspect the water distributor pipe and at the same time remove the thermostat housing. Well, my first surprise was a make shift connector hose, made of aluminum tube, a makeshift washer and lots of gasket goop! I removed the radiator, so I could pass a metal coat hanger inside the brass water distributor pipe. I could feel some resistance about half way through the cylinder head. I put a small hook on the coat hanger and after a few explorations, voila, I removed a piece of black crud! At first I thought it was a rubber grommet, but realized it was an excess piece of gasket goop, that had congealed and got stuck about half way inside the water distributor pipe. This explained why the temperature sensor read hot and the radiator coolant was normal. Of course, the coolant wasn't circulating to the back 2 cylinder valves - hopefully there isn't any permanent damage - burnt valves, cracked exhaust manifold.
I cleaned and glass blasted the thermostat housings and made a connecting rubber pipe out of 3/4" heater hose. According to Mike, the dimensions are 1 5/8" long , 3/4"ID, 1 1/8"OD. looks like typical OEM Volvo formed heater hoses with a woven appearance on the outside. It is compressed about 1/8" when installed which seals it between the water pump and the thermostat housing. I applied a small amount of silicon gasket seal and compressed the rubber pipe. I replaced the 5/8" heater hoses with new rubber and reassembled the radiator and thermostat. I added 4 litres of new Prestone anti-freeze and crossed my fingers. No leaks, perfect seals and a temperature gauge that's back to normal. No time for a test drive tonight, but all's well that ends well.
Here's the pictures:
at what I
3. Not a
of a bad
B16B water pump - 4 7/16" pump to pulley height
Amazon front fender emblems - now have part (658394) Amazon-S and possible source in Michigan
1960 P120 Amazon glove tray manual
Instrument cluster, speedometer cable
6 Volt Volvo clock (replaces ash tray in dash)
All pre-B18 122-S parts welcome
Contact me at Cameron@cvolvo.com
Project Amazon HOME
More to come....... NEXT - enjoy driving, replace water pump